MANGALITZA FRIENDS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MANGALITZA FRIENDS

A forum for owners and enthusiasts of Mangalitzas in France and abroad, to share experiences, and to share their knowledge with others. We hope that by spreading the word we can help to promote and increase the numbers of these wonderful animals.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  Log in  RegisterRegister  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Forum
Affiliates
free forum

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Crossed Meat - originally posted by CAROLE

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Katie
Admin
Katie

Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Crossed Meat - originally posted by CAROLE Empty
PostSubject: Crossed Meat - originally posted by CAROLE   Crossed Meat - originally posted by CAROLE EmptySat Sep 27, 2008 10:37 am

As yet, but possibly in the next month we have not prepared and eaten a pure Mangalitza.

Last week we tasted a Tamworth crossed with a Mangalitza and we very surprised and pleased by the results.
The meat appeared darker, sweeter and far more juicy than anything we have had before. The pig in question was also quite young and not at an age we normally eat, but he was becomming a problem and was not castrated so the deed had to be done.

Have sent some samples of joints and sausages to others for their opinions and will post when they return back to me with them.

Looking forward to hearing other peoples views.

Carole
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2008-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Crossed Meat - originally posted by CAROLE   Crossed Meat - originally posted by CAROLE EmptySat Sep 27, 2008 10:41 am

We were lucky enough to be given a sample of the meat Carole is describing.
We had some sausages and a piece of leg. The first thing we noticed was how dark the colour was. I am a real fan of Tamworth, and that is quite a red meat, but this was even darker.

The sausages were full of flavour, quite a strong taste infact, which suited us because we like strong flavours. For those not used to it, it could possbily take some getting used to, but we thoroughly recommend that you try it. It is one sausage that doesn't need anything but a little light seasoning.

The leg was out of this world - again full of flavour, and obviously very tender since this was a young animal. I think it is worth cooking this meat at a slightly lower temperature to retain the moisture. Having had a fan assisted oven for many years, I am now temporarily using a bog standard electric oven. It seems to take an age to cook anything, but I have to say that everything that comes out of it is succulent, so I am coming around to the idea that slower is better.

We will be slaughtering a Mangalitza/Saddleback cross in a couple of weeks, so it will be interesting to compare the meat from Caroles samples. Saddleback meat is lighter than Tammy meat anyway, and I have to say that we prefer the Tammy/Saddleback cross meat to pure Saddleback for taste and colour.

Watch this space for the next taste test!

Katie pig
Back to top Go down
carole

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Crossed Meat - originally posted by CAROLE   Crossed Meat - originally posted by CAROLE EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 8:16 am

Hi

Another lot due back from the butcher tomorrow, he commented on day of slaughter that they were older, as the colour of the meat changes with age. These were approx 7 months old and were much darker in colour. Amazing as he had no previous knowledge of my pigs.

Have to say, given they are Mangalitza crossed with Tamworth I did think the colour would resemble more of the mother (Tamworth) but no they were a darker meat.
Will post again after tasting, Kate- you up for some more? or any one else want to tast?

Carole
Back to top Go down
http://www.mangalitzas.webs.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crossed Meat - originally posted by CAROLE   Crossed Meat - originally posted by CAROLE Empty

Back to top Go down

Crossed Meat - originally posted by CAROLE
Page 1 of 1