MANGALITZA FRIENDS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MANGALITZA FRIENDS

A forum for owners and enthusiasts of Mangalitzas in France and abroad, to share experiences, and to share their knowledge with others. We hope that by spreading the word we can help to promote and increase the numbers of these wonderful animals.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  Log in  RegisterRegister  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Forum
Affiliates
free forum

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Ok - how do you stop a Houdini Mangalitza piglet!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
itchyscratchy

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-10-13

Ok - how do you stop a Houdini Mangalitza piglet! Empty
PostSubject: Ok - how do you stop a Houdini Mangalitza piglet!   Ok - how do you stop a Houdini Mangalitza piglet! EmptyMon Dec 22, 2008 3:59 am

Here he is - yes it's Wonky! http://www.merrylegsfalabellas.com/Not%20another%20Pig/ He settled in really well and then it started! - he escapes sometimes 20 times a day - he has no respect for the electric fence at all (mains!) and we have 4 strands now right down to the ground. When he pushes under it he squeaks as he's being shocked but just carries on - its hysterical! - beyond the electric fence is stock fencing (sheep net) and he squirms under that as well - despite numerous boulders holding it down - he can also climb almost vertical walls - up or down!

Bob (our adult pig) gets very upset when Wonky goes but the worst thing is the worry of hunters getting Wonky - so far he hasn't stryed from our land but the hunters have been right through a few times now and I'm sure they would just shoot him!

If I run round and shout at Wonky and beat the ground with a stick and generally sound and look like a mad woman Wonky runs back- up the bank, through the stock fence, under the electric fence .. and stays there for a while - if I have enough energy to keep this up for the whole day then I can be rewarded with a peaceful Wonky for maybe a month.. then for no reason it starts again .

We've even started feeding him more - a huge bowl of pasta for breakfast - hoping it will slow him down, but no - off he goes to run off the carbs.. and they are in a half acre field at the moment - so it can't be because of their environment...

Suggestions - no we're not going to eat him although I know that might just solve the problem and today I do feel like it as hubby has gone off to golf and I did think I would have some peace and quiet - no..... its another Wonky day!
Back to top Go down
Katie
Admin
Katie

Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2008-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Ok - how do you stop a Houdini Mangalitza piglet!   Ok - how do you stop a Houdini Mangalitza piglet! EmptyTue Dec 23, 2008 2:13 am

Oh My Goodness he is a naughty one! The pictures are wonderful and he certainly looks happy!" He is ruling the roost so I expect that is why!

Stock fencing is the only thing I can think of - put it up on the outside of the electric fencing.

Good luck anyway, and keep us posted.

Kate pig Embarassed
Back to top Go down
itchyscratchy

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Ok - how do you stop a Houdini Mangalitza piglet!   Ok - how do you stop a Houdini Mangalitza piglet! EmptyWed Dec 24, 2008 2:01 am

mmmm... we already have stock fencing but the lightest gap and he wriggles under it - after braving the electric wires - sometimes the wires even electrocute the stock fencing as hes pushed them into it ! - maybe I'll have to keep shouting and stopping until he learns?
Back to top Go down
Katie
Admin
Katie

Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2008-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Ok - how do you stop a Houdini Mangalitza piglet!   Ok - how do you stop a Houdini Mangalitza piglet! EmptySat Dec 27, 2008 4:06 am

We bought small link fencing - similar to the green garden fencing that you can buy. We got it from a builders merchants but in normal silver colour which was cheaper than the green coated fencing, but dearer than the bog standard sheep fencing. It keeps our smallies in perfectly and doesn't strech. It might be worth investigating. It is about half the height of the sheep fencing and we fitted ours inside the sheep fencing as a double wammy!

We had no escapies after that was in place. All of our weaners are put into that area first until they grow a bit.

Kate pig
Back to top Go down
carole

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Ok - how do you stop a Houdini Mangalitza piglet!   Ok - how do you stop a Houdini Mangalitza piglet! EmptySun Dec 28, 2008 7:30 am

Woops,,, think you have experienced a true baby Mangalitza. Their hair seems to protect them from any form of electric fencing. It will get better with age!!!!
As Kate suggests, try the green stuff, it works with out escapee Tamworths too, also place extra fencing posts along the border.

Good Luck and give them both a hug from me please.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mangalitzas.webs.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ok - how do you stop a Houdini Mangalitza piglet!   Ok - how do you stop a Houdini Mangalitza piglet! Empty

Back to top Go down

Ok - how do you stop a Houdini Mangalitza piglet!
Page 1 of 1