MANGALITZA FRIENDS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MANGALITZA FRIENDS

A forum for owners and enthusiasts of Mangalitzas in France and abroad, to share experiences, and to share their knowledge with others. We hope that by spreading the word we can help to promote and increase the numbers of these wonderful animals.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  Log in  RegisterRegister  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Forum
Affiliates
free forum

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Barley and maize?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
smiffy

smiffy

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2008-09-24

Barley and maize? Empty
PostSubject: Barley and maize?   Barley and maize? EmptySun Sep 28, 2008 3:47 pm

I was reading somewher that the hungarians feed a mix of barley and maize.

Since then we have changed opur feeding to 50% pig nuts and 50% barley, the pigs are doing very well..... But we feed rolled barley and i was reading on (i think river cottage) that soaked barley is better ... any thoughts?

and what do you all feed?
Back to top Go down
http://northmoor-rarebreeds.com/index.html
Katie
Admin
Katie

Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Barley and maize? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barley and maize?   Barley and maize? EmptySun Sep 28, 2008 4:26 pm

This link address www.woolypigs.com/

is well worth a visit. Very informative, and if you click on to ABOUT and then scroll down to the Austrian farms, then select control the diet - it makes an interesting read - diet in the lead up to slaughter to effect the perfect marbling of the meat.

It's a toss up as to wether this belongs in the library or not!

We feed our Mangalitzas the same as all the other pigs - Farine d'orge, pignuts, seasonal fruits and veg. We have just started them on a new diet, mixed by a French Farmer who keeps outdoor pigs himself - a mixture of peas, wheat, ble, corn, mustard seeds, black wheat. This is fed after being soaked for 24 hours in water - 50/50 quantity. They seem to love it, and they are doing well on it. It also works out around half the price of the food we have been buying them.

We are deffinately going to consider an alternative diet for the Mangalitza's that are destined for meat - we just have to work out what with the resources that we have. We want to make the best Parma ham that we can, and the marbling is important, so we will try to duplicate the suggestion on the link and see how that goes. Will talk to John about Traceys diet as well.

Kate pig
Back to top Go down
DonnaK

DonnaK

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2008-09-22

Barley and maize? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barley and maize?   Barley and maize? EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 11:16 am

Really interesting reading. Their diet has certainly been on my mind since you mentioned the marbling of the meat on another site. It'll be saved to favs! & read when I have some Mangalitsa for meat.
Donna pig
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Barley and maize? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barley and maize?   Barley and maize? Empty

Back to top Go down

Barley and maize?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
MANGALITZA FRIENDS :: Food Hall :: Dietry requirements-
Jump to: